Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Little Things

After a few more days using OS X 10.5 Leopard, things are starting to take shape:


1. Time Machine is the only backup application that I have seen in the past 15+ years that actually makes sense just by looking at it. Setup is basically automatic, restorals are simple: open Time Machine, navigate to the last backup with the file that you are missing, and click restore. Done. I have been working all weekend and I never get to catch the hourly backup while it is running, resource usage is very low.


2. I turned off Spaces, they were more annoying than useful. I know these have a use, but not for me.


3. Some of the networking changes are very clever. I really like the new shared folders menu and the ability to set permissions by user. I also like the built-in VNC client (not that Chicken of the VNC ever bothered me).


4. The parental controls are nice, but only if the application is compatible with it. This means that PJ is stuck using Safari instead of Firefox. The new options allowed us to set daily time brackets for his Mac usage, with a separate start and end time for weekends. If you would rather use a fixed amount of usage per day, it is available too.



0 comments: