Sunday, March 9, 2008

Spring Ahead

Don't forget that Daylight Savings Time for participating areas of the U.S. starts tomorrow, Sunday March 9.


DST has always been weird time for me. I lived in Puerto Rico for 21 years, we were on Atlantic time and close enough to the equator that the summer daylight variation is not as extreme as here or in South West Germany.


I learned the "Spring Ahead, Fall behind" rule the hard way: on the Fall 1992 switch I was either in the last weeks of my U.S. Army basic training in Fort Jackson, SC, or freshly arrived at the US Signal Center in Fort Gordon, GA for my advanced training.


I reported for breakfast one hour early.


Instead of finding everything closed, I found the KP crew lining up to get inside and start working. It was plain dumb luck that I did not get pulled inside to do KP with the rest of them.



0 comments: