Saturday, July 19, 2008

Don't tell me it is free and then ask me to pay for a different thing as a condition

Lulu.com is advertising a "limited offer" for a distribution package that includes a free ISBN. ISBNs are usually $125 when you buy them one at a time, and you can only buy them in batches of powers of ten. I thought that it sounded too good to be true, after all, I had to buy my first two ISBNs.


Well, the reason that it sounded too good to be true is that there is no way to get this free ISBN unless you purchase a hardcopy of your book from Lulu.com. If you don't buy the hardcopy, you don't get to move to the final step, where the ISBN is submitted to bowker.com.


No free ISBN for you.


Why not just advertise the package for whatever it costs to print one book? Th end result is the same, but you are not lying to people.



0 comments: