Thursday, June 12, 2008

What the hell is wrong with Verizon?

truck roll


Verizon spent millions wiring Fairfax County (VA) for FIOS, then spent god knows what wiring my condo complex (~ 300 units) so each unit would have the fiber running all the way into the wiring cabinet. Ordering FIOS would involve having a technician open a closet in your condo unit, slap two boxes in the wall and connect them to the fiber already there.


The problem is that they somehow forgot to check on the work. After spending so much money doing the wiring, they did not bother to check if their contractors did the work. Instead, they assumed it was done.


I ordered FIOS months ago and was asked to wait a month for installation. On install day, the technician figured out that the cable was never pulled down, and proceeded to bail out after giving me a number to re-schedule.


I called Verizon, which explained I would need to wait yet one more month. I hung up.


Months later, I got a memo from my condominium homeowner's association:


"Please be informed that Verizon will be on the premises on June 6 to finish wiring some buildings, including yours."


I thought awesome, now as soon as I see them finish, I can call and reschedule my install.


It did not work exactly like that. The wiring crew worked until lunch, then left. They never entered my building. So here I am, hating Comcast, but not being able to order FIOS.



0 comments: